Interactive Brokers

@Perfect Trader,
      danke für den Link IB habe ich mir schon angeschaut, macht mir einen komplizierten Eindruck oder täuscht das auf den ersten Blick?
      Sorry aber auf der Seite sehe ich vor lauter Bäume den Wald nicht mehr.
      Kennst du noch eine Alternative? Evtl. mit Metatrader Anbindung?
      Kann man bie IB auch mit anderen Plattformen handeln ausser der TWS?

IB, Ninjatrader und OCO

Vorab: wusste nicht genau in welchen ordner, da eigentlich etwas ueber ninjatrader.
      Aber denke, dass man sich an diesem beispiel gedanken bzgl. seiner software, dem broker und der orderabwicklungen machen sollte.
      Prima wieder einmal IB - auch wenn der chart.. :cursing: ... aber einfach solide :thumbsup: , da kann getrost der rechner abschalten (diesen sommer bei mir - zu heiss ?( ), der provider...., der strom ...(wie in manchen laendern) etc., gesundheit....sonstige unfaelle

Dude, Where’s My Order ? (Where Is My Order When NinjaTrader Crashes )

Posted: 04 Aug 2010 11:52 PM PDT

Dude, Where’s My Order

I thought Dude, Where’s My Car was a great mindless comedey. No need to engage any brain cells on that one. Ashton Kutcher who starred in the movie went on to make lots more mindless comedy. I saw a post on the “Interwebs” that made me think of that movie.

I saw this post on ET ( EliteTrader )

I long 1 ES contract at 1109.50, put stop-loss at 1107.25 and target at 1111.25. I was stopped out at 1107.25 ( 2.25 points ), but my target was later executed at 1111.50 ( another loss of 0.25 point ). The total loss of 2.50 points ( $125.00 ) and I was charged $9.60 which was for 2 contracts.

Both AMP Futures and Dorman Trading did not give me explanation after 1 week.

Don’t know what went wrong with the trade. The amount of money is small in this case, do I just accept it and move on?

I noticed, because I trade with Dorman/AMP. I have never had anything like that happen to me. Strange I thought.

Later, the same person posted…

I usually set the stop-loss and profit target through the NinjaTrader ATM strategy and the execution is without problem. That means if either the target or stop-loss is hit, the other will automatically being cancelled.

But in this case, my target price ( 1111.25 ) turned into another short order, and amazingly being stopped out just 0.25 point away ( 1111.50 ). Who determined that exit point for me?

I turned off my trading platform before the target / stop-loss was hit, so got no idea what actually happened to my pending orders. I usually do so without any problem.

I removed the names to protect the innocent. But is is a valid question, with an embarrassing answer.

OCO ORDERS.

A little background is in order. One Cancels the Other is abbreviated as OCO. Traders use OCO orders in NinjaTrader a lot without even knowing it. Whenever you use the Ninja ATM ( Advanced Trade Management ) which sets a stop loss and a profit target, THAT is an OCO order.

Ninja places TWO orders in the market after you enter the trade. One is the profit target order and the other is a stop loss. Say you are long, the profit target is a short limit order above the market and a short stop market order for the stop loss order.

For most brokers, when you enter the order, the two orders ( profit & stop loss ) are sent to the broker who sends them to the exchange and they then sit on the exchange book. The exchange knows nothing about your OCO order, and neither do most borkers. Just that there are two orders there, it is up to the trader ( on Ninja ) to take care of closing things out or your broker if your broker supports that functionality.

WHAT HAPPENED

What happened was exactly what should have happened. S/He was long a contract with two orders on the exchange book, the profit target and the stop loss. The Trader closed Ninjatrader and the stop loss order was executed. With his computer turned off, Ninja was not around to cancel the profit order on the exchange book.

So looking at their position. Long order stopped out so they are flat with a short order sitting on the exchange books. That short order does not have a stop loss or profit target. Just a short order sitting there.

So one of three things can happen

1. The market does not rally, And at the end of the day, the order cancels with out being executed
      2. The market goes up and hits his stop and then plummets , making him boatloads of money
      3. The market goes up, hits his stop and keeps going up and blows a lot of cash before the end of day or end of margin ( whichever comes first )

The third scenario is why you really should know where your orders live. If you want the safety of being able to turn off your computer and walk away in the middle of a trade, use a broker that keeps your OCO order on their server or host Ninjatrader somewhere.

SO WHAT ELSE COULD GO WRONG ?

Let’s see. Besides walking away from your computer.. Floods, power outages, locusts, system lockups and your two year old turning off your power-strip because it had a pretty light. Anything that can go wrong , will.

So when you lose connectivity or you computer catches fire or whatever. You can always call your your broker and ask him to take your account flat.

You do have to think about these things especially if you are auto trading. One of my clients asked me to write code so when his laptop battery was low on power, close all of his trades. He normally trades with the power attached to his laptop, but just in case he stepped out after entering a trade, his laptop would continue to move his stops.

SO WHERE IS MY ORDER ?

Here is a list of brokers/technologies and where the OCO orders are handled. Basically, TD Ameritrade & IB support it, for everyone else, the orders live on your computer.
      Zen-Fire OCO Handled by your PC
      Vision Financial Markets OCO Handled by your PC
      Interactive Brokers OCO Handled by the broker
      Patsystems OCO Handled by your PC
      PFGBEST.com OCO Handled by your PC
      Trading Technologies OCO Handled by your PC
      MB Trading OCO Handled by your PC
      GAIN Capital/Forex.com OCO Handled by your PC
      TD Ameritrade OCO Handled by the broker
      FuturesBetting OCO Handled by your PC
      Ich habe mich auch eine Zeit lang mit NT beschäftigt, allerdings ist der Support eher mässig -Standardfloskel: Ist so, wird auch in absehbarer Zeit nicht anders sein- ich weiss, dass einige langjährige NT User in der Zwischenzeit entnervt das Handtuch geworfen haben -durchaus auch Leute mit der gekauften Lizenz- und teils zu Amibroker und teils zu Multicharts gewechselt sind, wobei ich da von Leuten, die automatisiert handeln rede/schreibe, bei MC weiss ich, dass in einem der nächsten Updates eine Funktion für den diskretionären Handel implementiert wird, wobei ich als eher nicht IAB Fan aber durchaus auch die Handelssoftware von IAB -hier speziell den Booktrader- als brauchbar erachte.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „goso“ ()

NinjaTrader

Wollte an dieser Stelle meine Empfehlung für den NinjaTrader aussprechen, habe der TWS zunächst eine Chance gegeben aber ich glaube bereits am zweiten Tag habe ich die Krise bekommen und mir daraufhin den Ninja geholt.
      Ausführung, Charting, Stabilität, und der Support sind top, und im Forum findet man jede Menge Spielereien (falls man diese denn braucht).
      Letztenendes ist es eine Art von Leichtigkeit und Entspanntheit die der Ninja vermittelt und so freu ich mich jeden Tag aufs neue mit der Software arbeiten zu können, was für mich persönlich sehr wichtig ist.
      Zum Backtesting kann ich leider noch nichts sagen, da mir dafür wie so oft die Zeit fehlt.

Alles in allem eine tolle Software, die wie ich finde, jeden Cent Wert ist. :!:

Perfect Trader schrieb:

Trading-Gemeinschaften sind ein sicheres Zeichen dafür, daß keiner der teilnehmenden Leute das Trading-Handwerk wirklich versteht. Wenn ein einzelner Trader ohne Ahnung tradet, hat er wenigstens noch die Chance, es dadurch irgendwann zu lernen, die bei einer Gemeinschaft eher gering ist.

Ist hier zwar O.T., aber da in diesem Thread begonnen, will ich auch hier eine kurze Anmerkung anschließen:

Das sieht Peter Milman im Traders´7/2010 völlig anders: " ... Man profitiert enorm davon, dass man zehn oder mehr Leute um sich hat, die nach den gleichen Charts Ausschau halten und in Echtzeit Ideen austauschen. Eine einzige Person kann unmöglich alles sehen, was die Märkte bieten. Alle großen Trader hatten oder haben tolle Gruppen um sich herum." (eigene Hervorhebung). Das sagt immerhin jemand, der zusammen mit seinem Bruder eine eigene Tradingfirma aufgebaut hat und vom Trading lebt.
      Die Einführung dieser Regel hat mich damals auch ziemlich aus den Latschen gekickt. Die Banken wollten sich mMn nicht mehr den Spread klauen lassen und haben sich hier auch durchsetzen können. Die Konsequenz war damals, dass ich am Ende mit 12 Konten getradet habe, wobei das Geld innerhalb von IB sehr fix zu überweisen war.