One vocabulary a day

One vocabulary a day

should

Should can have the same meaning as 'if' in formal language. English is similar to German in this way.

Examples

Should the goods not reach you on time, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
      Please use the online feedback service, should you have any comments you would like to make.
      We will have to pass any rise in material costs on to the customer, should the need arise.
      Reite auf der Welle der gegenwärtigen Wahrheit

www.gecko-magic.de

It´s worse than bad breath

Die Amerikaner versuchen sich sogar gegenseitig Vocabel-Programme
      zu Verkaufen:

"A poor vocabulary can sink you socially and professionally quicker than bad breath.
      If you fumble for the right words, or use the wrong words, people make judgments about your background, your education… even your intelligence.

What´s the single most powerful action to higher income and greater prestige?
      Dear Friend,
      The answer is a strong vocabulary! Build yours and immediately feel more comfortable and confident in conversation... and give yourself the edge you need to get ahead.
      All of the wealthy or accomplished people I know have one common trait: they express themselves clearly and precisely. With no exception.
      They know exactly which words to use, and they know the meanings of words they hear and read.
      A powerful vocabulary can be like wearing a power-suit to a meeting.
      Even when you are more qualified than the next person, count on the person with the keen vocabulary to win. Fair, or not, the world responds
      to words.
      The best way to appear educated and capable is to build an extensive vocabulary.
      Decide now that you want all the benefits of being a worldclass communicator.
      One of the quickest ways to build your image and make powerful impressions is learning new words.
      People are judged all the time by the words they choose. And so are you.
      Decide today to build your image by enhancing your vocabulary. Develop a million dollar vocabulary and see how the world shines praise upon you.

Be assured that nothing makes a stronger, longer-lasting impression than a cogent command of the English language.
      If you want to play with "the big boys", you better be ready to match their vocabulary.
      Vocabulary already works for or against you one way or another.

"A person may dress in the latest fashion and present a very attractive appearance. So far, so good. But the minute he opens his mouth and begins to speak, he proclaims to the world his level on our social pyramid...Our use of our language is the one thing we can't hide."

If you want to boost your vocabulary, this thread will do it.
      Bilder
      • mil.jpg

18,16 kB, 152×191, 565 mal angesehen

One vocabulary a day

in a positive light

If you talk about or see things as positively as possible, you do it in a positive light.

Examples

The staff were very worried about the merger but the boss talked about it in a positive light.
      We were unhappy with the changes to our system but I guess we have to see them in a positive light.
      WE talked about the problem in a positive light.

www.gecko-magic.de

One vocabulary a day

to recover money

This is what you have to do if a customer hasn't paid for a service or product. Very often you have to use the law to do it.

Examples

We had to go to court to recover our money.
      We threatened to take the customer to court. It was the only way we could recover our money.
      It took us nearly 18 months to recover our money.

www.gecko-magic.de

One vocabulary a day

restructuring program (programme in British English)

This is a plan to change the structure of a company. It almost always means that some people lose their jobs.

Examples

VW has just announced a restructuring program.
      10,000 people lost their jobs the last time our group had a restructuring programme.
      I hope the restructuring plans don't effect us too much.

www.gecko-magic.de

One vocabulary a day

sloppy

If work is sloppy, it is done carelessly and without enough thought. It has many mistakes in it.

Examples

He writes sloppy emails, they're always full of spelling mistakes.
      She didn't prepare her presentation very well, it was sloppy.
      The boss think that the suppliers work is not good enough. 'Sloppy' he called it.

www.gecko-magic.de

RE: One vocabulary a day

superfluous

If something is superfluous, it is not necessary, because something else already does this task or fulfils this function.

Examples

We have too many managers, some of them are superfluous.

They collected all the data from the customers but it was superfluous because I had already collected it myself.

Don’t waste time on superfluous tasks.

www.gecko-magic.de

One vocabulary a day

a minefield

If something is full of possible problems, it’s a minefield.

Examples

Doing business in the Middle East is a minefield for Europeans these days.

You have to be careful if you want to invest in the new economy. All the people who have lost money in it will tell you that it’s a minefield.

There are so many problem areas between British and American English, it’s a minefield.

www.gecko-magic.de

One vocabulary a day

in time

If you are in time for something, you arrive BEFORE it happens, normally only 5 or 10 minutes. This makes sure that you are not late.

Examples

I arrived for the meeting in time and I had a chat with my colleagues before the meeting started.

I’m always in time for the English course so I can get a good seat and review my words before the course starts.

I was in time for the presentation so I got a seat in the front row.

www.gecko-magic.de

One vocabulary a day

wear and tear (both words sound like „where“)

This is what happens to moving parts in a machine when they are used for a long time. If there is wear and tear on the parts, you should change them for new parts before they break.

Examples

We found a lot of wear and tear when we were servicing the machine.

There was a lot of wear and tear on my old car so I sold it.

As you get older there is more wear and tear on your body.

www.gecko-magic.de

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von „DACHS“ ()

One vocabulary a day

contrary to

This is a very difficult false friend for German speakers. The standard German translation is ‘im Gegensatz zu’.
      This does NOT translate as ‚in opposite to’.

"In opposite to" doesn’t mean anything!

Examples

Contrary to what we expected, we finished the project on time.

My daughter always behaves contrary to the rules.

The weather today is contrary to what the weather report said.

www.gecko-magic.de